Friday, March 14, 2008

Bonsai and Martial Arts

Not much to report today. Focusing on staying healthy and sane, taking care of family, and growing the dojo. I took some time today to post to my other blog, "The Martial Musings of an Artist of Life."

I think my thoughts there are relevant to this UBBT journey, so please check it out if you can.

The whole family visited the Boston Flower Show last weekend. It was packed, but still a great day trip. Fell in love all over again with the art of bonsai, and as a result, I picked up a small juniper tree for $15 at the local Home Depot. Just started working on it yesterday. I've managed to kill a few bonsai in my time, so I promise to do better with this one. Perhaps my parenting skills will come into play…!

Since picking up the tree, trimming it, watering it, and wiring it, I've been drawing 1,000's of parallels in my mind between martial arts training and "training" my new little tree friend. With time and attention, it might even become a masterpiece, like the one pictured here!

Have a great week!

No comments: