Thursday, July 31, 2008

Playing All-Out

Last night was the first night in almost 2 weeks that I was able to sleep more than 3 consecutive hours. Ava's blood sugar levels have been all over the board, and my wife and I have been running ourselves ragged trying day and night to get things back under control. Blood sugar checks, insulin corrections, and emergency feedings at midnight, 2:00 am and 4:00 am have been the norm for us for days and days on end.

And oh yeah, our roof is leaking from the recent heavy rains. The house is a disaster because we've had to empty out a large closet, which needs to be redone to get at all the moisture and mold up in the ceiling. All of this, combined with a hectic schedule at work and an extra heavy load of classes at the dojo and in the community, has transformed me into a bit of a zombie. I'm exhausted. I've lost a few pounds. My brain is fuzzy. But lots of good things are happening:

This week, I was able to finalize my contribution to the "Wisdom of the Martial Arts" book project. One of my students completed folding 1,000 origami cranes, and he'll be delivering them in person next week to 'Sadako Peace Day' in Santa Barbara, CA. I had the pleasure of teaching self defense to delightful group of 25 teens at the Carroll Center for the Blind. The City of Boston's Zoning Board of Appeals approved the change in use of the building we'll be moving in to this fall, which means heavy construction can now begin. I have 10 students testing for new rank at the end of the week, and new students are enrolling for my next beginner's course.

I'm playing all-out. But in place of my UBBT pushups and sit-ups this week, I've concentrated on keeping my sense of humor and an attitude of gratitude. I'll just have to catch up later.

No comments: