Sunday, November 16, 2008

Every Little Stitch Helps

I love this picture of a knitted cap next to the weapons rack in our dojo. It was taken by my student, Linda, and it I captures, without using words or rhetoric, the power that the martial arts have to change the world. We use the bo, jo, sai, tonfa, kama, nunchaku, knife, techu, kai-bo, naginata, and other weapons at our dojo.

Now, please add knitting needles to the list.

My student Carolyn's community service project has really been taking off. She was featured in a local newspaper article just this past week. Ahh, the student becomes the teacher... how refreshing.

This month's Ode magazine features an article titled, "Every Little Stich Helps." I've ordered a copy of "Knitting for Good" to add to the dojo library. I'll place it right next to the books on weapons training.

2 comments:

Tim Rosanelli said...

Hey,
This picture is great. You and your students keep up the great work. It's very inspiring.

craftivista said...

Thanks so much for adding my book to your dojo bookshelf! One of the biggest surprises of knitting for me was how it drew me closer to my inner stillness...a stillness I tried to find through yoga and meditation, who knew it would take two sticks and string instead?!