Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Trying to not compare myself to others

I want to help develop "artists of life" and help people achieve their personal goals, AND I want to grow my martial arts school into a viable business! It can be done!

Since part of my personal UBBT challenge is building and growing my school (can I double our student membership by the spring?), I've been working very hard at improving enrollment for my next adult karate beginner's session, which starts on 9/29 by posting craigslist ads, pushing student referrals, placing listings in the community news sections of local papers, etc. I'm printing up new flyers to distribute, and I'm collaborating with one of the local adult ed organizations.

I spent all of last Sunday with Master Chris Rappold at his business development seminar. Ever seen his dojo? Holy cow, it's beautiful! And more than that, it's full of students. I'm trying not to compare myself with Chris and the others in attendance (mostly multiple-school owners with hundreds of students), but it's hard not to!

Seeing and sitting with other successful dojo operators was a motivating experience... talk about seeking out masters! There's no reason why I can't be as successful as the others at the seminar... the only thing holding me back is ME!

Chris gave all of us some good suggestions, which I'm trying to wrap my head around and implement. I've been training like a wild man, too — going to a tournament in Canada at the end of next month, and competing for the first time in about a decade!

No comments: