Thursday, October 11, 2007

Making improvements -- everywhere!

Coach Tom has been challenging us to improve the quality of the people we hang out with. This week, I was fortunate enough to spend some time with Andy Mandell, a.k.a., "Mr. Diabetes." What a remarkable man! A diabetic, Andy is on the final legs of his perimeter walk of the United States. The focus of Andy's walk (The "Wake Up and Walk") tour is to raise awareness of diabetes, a terrible, but 100% PREVENTABLE disease that affects millions in our country alone. I'm happy to know Andy, and also to call him "teammate", as he has joined UBBT 5. Be sure to check out his website: www.defeatdiabetes.org.

In other news, I'm heading to Canada next week for a vacation and karate tournament. I'm looking forward to the time away with my family (balance!), but also to competing for the first time in YEARS. Win or lose, it'll be a great experience. I've been working on my kata and I'm ready to perform.

Beyond all the training, I've been working on the dojo, with a concerted effort to "professionalize" things with better systems, better processes, better equipment… better EVERYTHING. We've had six new students sign up for lessons, which is GREAT! I'll be introducing a revised curriculum and belt ranking system next month, and replacing the dojo flooring in December. Things are looking good!

No comments: