Thursday, January 31, 2008

And the hits just keep on comin'…

It always seems that when things start to go "wrong," they tend to form a mini avalanche of headaches that makes life even more challenging than normal. Just in the past 3 weeks, we've replaced or had to repair our dryer, our washing machine, our dishwasher and our microwave. The side view mirror on my wife's car was kicked off by a vandal. My Internet service provider reported that my emails are not reaching their intended recipients because their email server has been hacked into by spammers. The recent cold weather snap cracked two windows in our house. I could go on…

But my point is this: So long as we remember to count our blessings before we count our problems, the things that go wrong in our lives can't and won't overwhelm us. A sense of humor helps, too. I have my health, my family, and my community to be grateful for. I will eat something for dinner – even if the microwave doesn't work. I have clean clothes to wear – even though I had to haul them to the Laundromat down the street. I'm going to sleep in a warm bed tonight – unless, of course, the furnace blows.

Beyond the day-to-day headaches, training is going well. Working on groundwork, aiki, and focusing on proper body dynamics during striking drills. I've lost some weight and gained some muscle tone. We're running some testing in the dojo this weekend, and I'm looking forward to seeing my students perform. I'm hoping to see an improvement in their kata, to see if they can convey the "battle" that's going on in each form!

No comments: