Friday, August 28, 2009

Speaking Our Truth

This week, the local paper interviewed me for a feature article they are planning to publish on the various martial arts schools in the area. Free press is good advertising, so I was happy to speak with the reporter, show him around our dojo, and introduce him to several of my students. I felt at ease and "on my game" during the interview, and I remained conscious of hitting all of my talking points as I spoke.

But as I described our focus on community service and the environmental and peace-education components of our martial arts curriculum, I felt an unusual surge of passion and confidence: Our dojo is truly a unique place. No, these items weren't just "talking points" or a clever marketing strategy. They were evidence of the true character of our dojo. We walk our talk, and I was simply speaking our truth.

I'm grateful for the UBBT experience — it has helped to draw these elements out and bring them to the foreground. They were always there, but now they are sharp and clear.

No comments: