Friday, November 20, 2009

This Week's Update

November is Diabetes Awareness Month, and last weekend was World Diabetes Day, so I ran two women's self-defense seminars at the dojo that raised about $200 for the Defeat Diabetes organization.

We've been doing some realistic training in our Black Belt Club sessions, with a goal of developing physical & mental toughness, and the willingness to engage in physical conflict if necessary. (I've still got a few bruises from the training, but I'm healing quickly!)

On my own time, I've been studying the concepts of "Verbal Judo" so that I can share them with my students though future confidence & assertiveness training seminars.

One of our dojo members is collecting food items for homeless families for Thanksgiving. The drop-off box in the dojo is filling up from student's donations, and I even have a few members from the community (not dojo members) stopping by the dojo this weekend to make additional contributions! In honor of the upcoming holiday, we discussed the quality of "gratitude" and how it relates to the martial arts between punching drills in my grade-school class this morning.

We'll be holding a "healthy foods potluck" at the dojo next week to emphasize the notion that "healthy eating is self-defense." And since we're heading into the season of excessive eating, we'll also be showing the film, "Food, Inc." to raise awareness about our food sources and our habits of consumption.

No comments: