Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Conscious Consuming, Healthy Eating, and the Holiday Season

I've been thinking a lot lately about raising my awareness of what I "consume" in my life, from the food that I eat to the purchases that I make, to the media that I watch and read. And of course, I've been thinking about how all of these things relate to the martial arts and "self-defense."

I recently watched the movie, "Food, Inc." A real eye opener in terms of becoming more aware of the source of our meals and the methods that are being used to produce and deliver our food to the market. And I'm becoming more and more aware of just how interconnected and interdependent we all are.

No, I don't eat local, organic, fairly-traded, healthy food all of the time. In fact, I love to eat absolute crap, but I am making small changes where I can — and when I remember to. Awareness is the key. For example, I still drink coffee, but with a growing awareness of how bad the cream and sugar are for my overall health, I'm drinking it black more frequently. (And hey, it tastes pretty good!)

With raised awareness, I'm finding myself being more mindful and grateful, too. Shot this video this morning:

No comments: