Sunday, January 30, 2011

Keeping Up A Pretty Good Pace

So far this year, I've been keeping up a pretty good pace when it comes to my physical training. I'm feeling good -- and sleeping better, too! Our dojo just completed week four of our annual six-week fitness cycle, wherein we focus on bodyweight exercises, calisthenics, ab work, and aerobics. Each week, we either add exercises, increase repetitions, or lengthen the duration of the training, so that by the time we get through the end of week six, we're all in pretty good shape. The coming week will be a tough jump, but I'm ready: I've been getting in some extra training with weights and extra kata reps here and there.



I'm slowly working through my reading list and taking in all kinds of new and interesting information. One of my students pointed me to the free "peace ambassador certification course" on the Monks Without Borders website, which I completed a week or so ago. The peace education material is so wonderful, that I've decided to make completing the course a requirement for all of my adult students advancing to purple belt. At this stage in their training, I ask my students to complete self-directed work in peace education, nonviolent communication, anger management, and/or conflict resolution. The MWB course adresses all of these subjects and is a great launhing point for more study. And did I mention it's FREE? This course seems like a good warm-up for the more involved Peace Education course offered by Teachers Without Borders, which I'd like to tackle some time soon. One thing at a time!

I've started filming a series of videos for my students that I call "tokonoma-side chats." My original intent was to share these little clips only with my students at the dojo, but since I've not gotten any response or feedback from them, I've decided to share the video posts with anyone who will care to watch. I've had too many wonderful experiences in the martial arts to keep these stories to myself. Enjoy!


No comments: