Friday, September 11, 2009

Peace Is More Important Than Punches

School is back in session this week, so I'm back to teaching karate to 4th and 5th graders on Friday mornings before I head off to work. Today, I taught striking basics to a group of about 20 kids for about 40 minutes: We practiced jabs, right crosses, left hooks, and uppercuts with lots of enthusiastic counting and yelling. We finished up the class with a one-minute silent meditation followed by a five-minute mat chat on the subject of PEACE using the "Peace is More Important than Punches" flash cards. It was a good way to end the lesson, and I thought the discussion was helpful in transitioning the kids out of a high-energy activity so that they could focus for the rest of the day.

And, after spending the better part of an hour showing kids the right way to punch one another, I think a few minutes of showing them how to appreciate one another was very much in order!

No comments: