Thursday, October 29, 2009

Self Defense, Service, Safety

This week, I was inspired to create "Flu Prevention Is Self Defense" cards to help prevent and/or reduce the spread of germs in what's expected to be a difficult cold and flu season. This morning, I shared the cards with my network of like-minded martial artists around the country, and as of this writing, the information is being spread (ironically like virus, no?) through martial arts schools in Washington, South Carolina, Indiana, Illinois, Texas, and Washington, D.C. We'll be using these cards during mat chats in our Little Dragons classes at our dojo, and also in the enrichment classes that I teach in the Boston Public School System. Please contact me if you'd like the artwork to make a set of cards!


TokBox - Free Video Chat and Video Messaging

This past weekend, a bunch of my students and I planted 180 daffodil bulbs in the public green space just outside the dojo. We've kind of adopted the area, which used to be a wasteland of weeds, broken glass, and spare tires. Back in the spring, we held a service project to clean the area up, and with help from local agencies, we managed to plant about 15 new donated trees. Alas, the flowers we contributed and planted that day were stolen from the site within 24 hours, so hopefully the bulbs we planted last weekend will still be there for a glorious debut in the spring!


Also, I'm reminding folks to be safe this Halloween by referring then to my list of links to Halloween Safety Tips!

No comments: