Friday, May 2, 2008

Some Thoughts on Falling Short

The UBBT asks a lot of us: diet, nutrition, acts of kindness, community service, weekly journaling, daily exercise and meditation, and more. I do the best I can; so do most of my teammates. I'm not overly disappointed when I fall short. I'm not too hard on myself because the falling itself reveals my own imperfections, my own humanity.

Sometimes I'm too lazy. Sometimes I'm too tired, or sick, or injured. Sometimes, I'm just not in the mood. But, I fail forward. My failings bring awareness and they reveal to me the next steps that I need to take in my personal evolution.

There's something magical about failing publicly, too: Even when I fail, I've usually gone beyond the point that most would dare to attempt. I've failed or fallen short while attempting something amazing (or "insane"). Even when I don't hit the mark, I hope that I inspire others just by making the effort.

Besides, wouldn't it be terribly boring if I did every part of the test exactly as it is prescribed?

:)

No comments: