Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Just Another Day in the UBBT Life

Tonight, our dojo is sponsoring a free workshop on negotiation and conflict management skills. I've turned the training floor into a classroom, complete with chairs, handouts, a flip chart, and a table for the projector. It's a very different feel for the room, considering just last night we were on the floor sweating and pounding away on the focus mitts!

I'm expecting about 10 or 15 participants – a mix of my students and members of the community who heard about the class from my postings on local blogs. Should be a good class – and one I hope to offer on a regular basis. I want our dojo to be known as a center of learning, personal development and peace education, and not just a place where you learn to hit things!

I ratcheted up my training a bit this week, carrying my clubbells into the park and swinging them around between sets of pushups and crunches. And while in the park, I noticed that someone or some group did something wonderful – a small wooden obelisk inscribed with "May Peace Prevail On Earth" has been installed in the park by the tennis courts. I couldn't resist a few minutes of tai chi near the newfound inspiration!

No comments: