Monday, June 9, 2008

Seeking Balance

On my way in to work this morning, I found myself listening to a BBC News report about the current famine in Ethiopia, which has been caused by drought-induced crop failure. The report went into great length about the starving, malnourished children, the lack of adequate medical care, and the inability/failure of the Ethiopian government to properly respond to the growing crisis.


Not wanting to totally ruin my day with negative energy, I changed the channel.


An instant later, "Love Shack" by the B-52's poured out of my car's stereo speakers. You know the tune: "The loooove shack is the little old place where we can get togetherrr-rrrr... Love shack babyyyyyyy..."

And then, I thought to myself, "How callous and insensitive of me. Thousands of people are dying of starvation, and my first response is to change the channel and enjoy some music in my air conditioned car." Ashamed, I switched back to the BBC report, finished listening, turned off the radio, and then spent the rest of my commute in silence.

I can't allow myself to be constantly bombarded by sadness. That's not healthy. But I won't allow myself to remain in ignorant bliss, either. I can't do nothing, but I can't fix everything... And Heaven knows I've got enough challenges of my own... How to find balance?

No comments: