Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Week Of Simple Living

Just finished up some long-overdue vacation time with my family, reconnecting with my wife and daughter. We spent an entire week in the mountains of New Hampshire – a week with no phone calls, no emails, no work, no training, no teaching, and no television. Just precious quality time! I even had a few minutes to catch up on reading Thich Nhat Hanh’s, “The Art of Power.”

We spent most of our week surrounded by the splendor and magnificence of mountain scenery, lakes, and streams. And in the midst of it all, I found myself most awed by my daughter, who, instead of taking in the awesome panoramic views, bent down again and again to gleefully observe an ant or ladybug crawling on her shoe. Her raw curiosity, and her ability to find pleasure in the most mundane things was more amazing and humbling than anything nature could put before me. Now that really put things in perspective. Miracles and teachers come in all sizes, I guess!

And now I’m back in the swing of things. It’s interesting to observe how quickly the training wears off – Getting back up to speed with the push-ups and crunches, I’m feeling the difference of the layoff.

No comments: