Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Tactical Time Management Is Self Defense

Last week, I attended a time management seminar to help me stay focused and organized in 2010. The seminar covered tactical (hourly) time management, desk and workspace management (man, do I need that!), and communications tracking.

Over the next couple of weeks, I hope to use and further develop the new time management skills and habits that I learned at the seminar to counter my natural tendency toward procrastination and distraction. If I can manage my priorities better -- and stay focused and organized -- I know I'll get a lot more done each day. And if I focus on getting the right things done (the things that are actually IMPORTANT), I'll surely achieve more of my goals. I only have so much time to accomplish all that I want to do in this life; I need to defend it vigorously!

First things first: As Stephen Covey says, "begin with the end in mind." I'm spending a little time today to sit down to set specific goals for the month, quarter, and year in the broad categories of Work, Family, Social, Physical, Spiritual, and Learning.

1. Define Your Purpose
2. Establish Your Goals
3. Focus Your Resources
4. Manage Your Priorities
5. Measure the Effects of Your Actions
6. Own the Performance
7. Influence the Participants
8. Continue the Improvements

1 comment:

businessmantra said...

I like the thought of Stephen Covey that "begin with the end in mind."
Time management is the very important thing in business point of view. Person should have time management skills to achieve success in business.